5 Fun Ways to Knock Down Mental Blocks Using Your Creativity
Have you ever listened to a song that made you want to dance, seen a movie that made you cry or looked at a photograph that made you laugh? These are all examples of the ways that art has the ability to tap into your emotions.
Embrace this emotional connection to art on National Inspire Your Heart With Art Day on January 31st. Whether you have a deep appreciation for the arts or feel that you are stuck in a creative mental block, use this day to get inspired and reignite your creativity. Here are five ways to enjoy the day and spark your ingenuity while you’re at it:
1. Go to a museum – Take a trip to a local museum. Get lost in the museum. Don’t just go through and look at every piece like it’s a requirement. Instead take the time to find something that really speaks to you. Spend a good 15 minutes with a piece you’ve fallen for and write what you see and why you love it.
2. Go to the movies – Sometimes I like to go to the movies alone. Especially if I know the movie may make me cry. That way I don’t feel hesitant to let my feelings go. There’s no distraction of having to share the space with someone you know. Award season is the best time of year to see a movie in the theater as this is when so many stellar films are released. Go see something and get lost in the story.
3. Take in a comedy show – You know when you laugh so hard that you start to cry? Those are the best kinds of tears. It feels good to laugh yourself sloppy, which is why you should take the opportunity to go to a comedy show. Whether it be a standup, sketch, or improv show; find a local theater and see a performance. Comedy is always rooted in truth which makes it hilarious and relatable.
4. Swap mix CDs – Organize a mix CD swap where you and your friends make mix CDs or Spotify playlists of your favorite songs and then swap! Listening to someone else’s jams can help you discover music you never knew you would like! Hearing a song you love for the first time is so special and can activate your creativity.
5. Throw a dance party – One of the best ways to kickstart your emotions and get those endorphins pumping is by throwing a good ‘ole fashioned dance party. It can be just you alone in your bedroom or with a group of friends. No matter what the setting, just let loose and have fun! Letting everything out on the dance floor is a good artistic cleanse.
Today is the day to do something creative! As you can see creativity can be found in many different places. So get out there and see what inspires you! You never know, maybe next year your art will be someone else’s inspiration.