How To Start A Blog In 5 Easy Steps
Blogging is a great way to get people talking about important issues. It’s also a great tool to educate the public about little-known things and and create a personal connection between the writer and the reader. So, as one who has been hit with the little-known Marfan Syndrome, a connective tissue disorder, I figure, what better way to inform the masses and inspire others to join in advocacy than to start a blog about my journey with the disease?
At MarfanVictory.com, I write about what it’s like to live with the Marfan Syndrome and the disease itself. Here are five quick and easy ways to create a blog and start a conversation about something you’re passionate about:
1. First and foremost, cover a subject that you are passionate about and that has a significant meaning in your life. This way, it will be easy to find motivation to write and and to connect with your target audience.
How I Did It: I asked myself: “What do I feel like I have to share with the world?” I want to be a crusader for Marfan Syndrome. It can be a very dangerous health condition if untreated, so I think it’s extremely important to open up the lines of communication between the Marfan Community and the general public.
2. Once you have your topic, the next step is to see which domains are available and buy your own. This seems easy, but does take a great deal of thought and research, since so many URLS are taken.
How I Did It: I wanted to create a domain and blog name that included the word “Marfan,” so it would relate to my subject and be it be easy to search. Some websites to use when searching available URLS are: www.godaddy.com, www.register.com, or www.domain.com
3. Now that you have created and purchased your domain name, it’s time to get creative. Grab a pen and paper and write whatever ideas come to mind about your topic.
How I Did It: I considered ideas like: what kind of blog do I want to make? What do I want my blog to look like? What kind of blogger do I want to be?
4. Once you’ve listed your creative starter ideas, it’s time to get technical. Select a design, or theme, for your blog. It can live on a simple page or you may a theme that has several sections within the design.
How I Did It: I worked with a close friend and colleague to pick and customize a theme for my blog. She uses the creative layout and ideas I created to customize the layout, formatting, and coding on the site.
5. Keep the creative juice flowing. If you get stuck for new ideas, ask for outside help to inspire fresh blog post ideas.
Remember, you can make a stand, be an activist, raise awareness, and share your valued opinions—all through the power of blogging.
Where to find the author on the web: