Ten Inspiring Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotes to Spark the Changemaker in You
Today we pay tribute to civil rights activist Martin Luther King, whose legacy is being celebrated around the country, and the world, today, won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work towards ending racial segregation and discrimination.
A powerful speaker who inspired millions with his words of love, tolerance, and peaceful revolution, Martin Luther King was tragically killed in 1968. Despite his untimely death, he will always be remembered as the most iconic figure in the Civil Rights Movement.
Here are some of our favorite, most inspiring, Martin Luther King, Jr quotes to inspire the change maker in you:
- “Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.”
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.”
- “I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
- “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.”
- “Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.”
- “We must use time creatively.”
Want to hear more? Watch this moving excerpt from MLK’s “I Have a Dream” Speech: